The Earthquake Commission (EQC) is the disaster relief provider for residential property including land and contents, subject to the Earthquake Commission Act 1993.


Info Sheets

Kaikoura: information for consumers
Kaikoura: information for businesses
Kaikoura earthquake claims
Kaikoura earthquake claims - resolving issues 
EQ Repairs
Temporary Accommodation


Southern Response Customers

Southern Response has agreed to extend the IFSO Scheme’s jurisdiction to give their customers more flexible access IFSO Scheme service. Southern Response customers can:

  • make a complaint to the IFSO Scheme about claims of any value (no $200,000 cap);
  • access the IFSO Scheme when proceedings have already been initiated with the Disputes Tribunal, Court, or other mediation service;
  • make a complaint about professional and other fees incurred by customers in making their claim; or utilise the IFSO Scheme’s dispute resolution and mediation skills where necessary.

Quick Answers

I can't get insurance for my house and contents in Canterbury.  Can the IFSO Scheme help?

The decision by insurers about who to offer cover to is not something the IFSO Scheme can consider. If you are unable to arrange cover by calling various companies, speak to a financial adviser or broker who may be able to help.

I would like to make a complaint about my insurer.  How do I do this?

Before the IFSO can formally consider any complaint, the matter must have been through the insurer’s internal complaints process and reached “deadlock”.  Deadlock means the complaint is still unresolved. You can bring the complaint to the IFSO Scheme within 2 months of reaching deadlock. 

I disagree with the repair/rebuild costs provided by my insurer.  What can I do?

If you would like to challenge the costs provided by your insurer, we recommend you get your own scope of works from a builder, loss adjuster, or quantity surveyor at your own cost. This report can be used as the basis for your discussions with your insurer regarding costs.

How do I complain about EQC?

EQC is not a Participant of the IFSO Scheme. You should first raise your issue with EQC.  See their website about Complaints.  If you are not happy with the outcome of your discussions, you can make a complaint to the Office of the Ombudsman.

Case Studies

Search the case studies of complaints to the IFSO Scheme.