Is your house insured for enough to rebuild it?
The Insurance & Financial Services Ombudsman is reminding people that the time to think about insurance is before you need it.
For house insurance, check that the amount your house is insured for enough to rebuild it in the event of a disaster.
1. Read your house insurance policy and check that the amount you are insuring for would be enough to rebuild it.
2. Check that the square meterage of your home and other buildings on your property are recorded accurately.
3. Check that additional features of your home have been identified. This includes fences, driveways, garages, sleep-outs, sheds, retaining walls and swimming pools.
4. Answer the questions on your insurer’s online calculator.
5. Ask a builder or quantity surveyor for their expert advice.
See our info sheet