Affected by floods? Call your insurer before you throw things away

6 April 2017

Insurance & Financial Services Ombudsman, Karen Stevens, says if your home has been affected by flooding, contact your insurance company as soon as you can, and take photos of the damage before you throw things away.

“It’s a stressful time for those affected, but by contacting your insurance company as soon as you can and understanding what you need to do to make an insurance claim, you could avoid problems later on,” says Karen.

The Insurance & Financial Services Ombudsman Scheme has dealt with a number of flood related insurance complaints over the past 22 years. “We’ve seen many cases where people have cleaned up after a flood, thrown all the damaged items away, then had difficulty proving that the items were damaged.”

Before your clean up:
1. Call your insurer. Ask what you need for your claim and ask your insurer to confirm this in writing.
2. Document the damage. Take photos or videos of your house and any damaged belongings. Make lists of all the damaged items before you dispose of anything.
3. Read your policy. Ensure you know what you are and are not covered for. If you don't understand, ask questions.

If you are unable to get back into your home, contact your insurer to ask about temporary accommodation cover, under either your house or contents policies.

See our info sheet